Charges filed in high speed chase that ended near Platte City

A Kansas City (Mo.) Police Department Illegal Firearms Squad operation led to a high speed pursuit that started in southern Platte County and ended near Platte City earlier this month.

On Tuesday, Aug. 15, the chase came to the southern edge of Platte City before proceeding east on NW 136th Street before the red Mitsubishi 3000 became disabled on NW Prairie View Road near the intersection with Bethel Road. The Platte County Sheriff’s Office provided assistance in a highly visible procession of law enforcement vehicles speeding through the area.

According to court documents, investigators responded to the area of 6800 Northeast Cotter Ave. that day and began conducting surveillance in an attempt to locate and coordinate the arrest of Tucker R. Janzing in regards to an active aggravated assault investigation and several felony warrants. Detectives observed a white Ford F250 on the street near the location under surveillance.

After several minutes, two subjects — later identified as 24-year-old Janzing and his girlfriend Morgan Ellis, 21, of Kansas City, Mo. — got into the F250 and left the location. Detectives followed the vehicle but were unable to safely make an arrest.

Eventually, the subjects drove back to the original surveillance area and exited the truck and got into a red 1999 Mitsubishi 3000 that fled the area at a high rate of speed, leading to the pursuit.

Authorities followed the car onto northbound Interstate 435, reaching speeds up to 140 mph as the car weaved through traffic, before hitting tire deflation devices when exited onto Highway 152. Both driver’s side tires were deflated, butJanzing continued to drive north on Highway N toward Platte City at about 60 mph.

With Highway N closed at NW 136th Street, the chase went east through a developing residential area. Tire deflation devices were deployed again, bringing the car to a stop on the right shoulder of NW Prairie View Road running parallel with Interstate 29.

Computer checks of the Mitsubishi revealed the vehicle to have been reported as a stolen auto in Kansas City, Mo. on Aug. 11. The F250 was also found to be reported stolen in Kansas City, Mo. on Aug. 13.

While taking inventory of the Mitsubishi’s contents prior to towing, a black SCCY model CPX-1 9 mm semi-automatic handgun was located under the front passenger seat.

A search of Ellis’ purse, which was over her shoulder as she exited the vehicle, turned up a clear plastic baggie containing a white crystal powder, weighing approximately .5 grams. TruNarc analysis confirmed the substance to be methamphetamine, according to court documents.

In an interview with authorities, Ellis allegedly admitted to knowing both the F250 and Mitsubishi were stolen. She added that the steering columns of both vehicles were broken with open switches.

Ellis also allegedly admitted to knowing who originally stole the vehicle and that she and Janzing purchased both vehicles for about $50 each. She further admitted to knowing the methamphetamine was in her purse and to purchasing the handgun together and that they share the weapon, according to court documents.

According to her interview, Ellis said that she and Janzing switched vehicles because they noticed the police helicopter following them. They were attempting to flee to Kansas in an attempt to avoid arrest, according to court documents.

Ellis has been charged with two felonies for possession of controlled substance and unlawful use of a weapon and remains in custody at the Platte County Detention Center in lieu of a $20,000 cash-only bond. Janzing was charged this week with resisting arrest by fleeing and tampering with a motor vehicle, but his detention status could not be located through online court records.