A Parkville family got the opportunity to meet the man who helped save them from a devastating house fire at a special event in North Kansas City last week.
Kayla and Lee Hoffman of Parkville lost their home but not their lives Thursday, June 8. Kayla was home alone napping with a small child when a fire started in their garage. The Parkville home was monitored by ADT, and when the fire alarm triggered and woke Kayla ADT dispatcher Jamar Cunningham responded to the alarm at a call center in Florida, contacting the Southern Platte Fire Protection District (SPFPD).
Kayla was able to grab the toddler and flee the house, while the fire spread quickly and smoke poured through the air vents.
“It was terrifying. I can’t imagine anything more frightening than fleeing a burning house with a baby in your arms,” Kayla Hoffman said. “If the smoke detector hadn’t triggered, I don’t know what would have happened.”
On Wednesday, Aug. 8, the Hoffmans met and thanked Cunningham at a Life Saver Program event held at Safe Haven Security in North Kansas City. Cunningham — who was flown in from Florida for the event — along with several Safe Haven employees who also assisted were presented with ADT Life Saver awards.
The Hoffmans and Cunningham weren’t the only guests of honor, as deputy chief Dean Cull of the SPFPD accepted a $5,000 donation check from ADT for its rapid response to the fire.
Cull reminded those in attendance that while monitoring of fire alarms by services like ADT certainly helps, everyone needs to check fire alarms and make sure they’re in working order. Cull said to change batteries twice a year, on Daylight Saving Time days, and that alarms themselves need to be replaced every 10 years.
The Hoffmans have reported their home is a total loss and they are currently renting a home until it can be rebuilt. The reconstruction process is expected to take about a year.
ADT treated Safe Haven employees and guests to a catered lunch, with the 64th Street HyVee donating a basket of goods to the Hoffman family to help restock their pantry.