Huggins faces charges after standoff

A rural Platte County resident is facing three felonies following an incident that included a standoff with officers.

Lucas Huggins

Lucas Huggins

Lucas Huggins, 27, was taken into custody at 1:46 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 22 after Platte County SWAT Team and Platte County Crisis Negotiations Team responded to the Huggins’ home at 13310 NW Mohawk Road.

The Platte County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call of Huggins firing a handgun at his neighbor’s vehicle at 9:47 p.m.

The incident started when the victim observed Huggins sitting at a bus stop shelter at NW Mohawk Road and NW Hampton Road.

Huggins flipped off the victim, who rolled down his window and asked him why he was still mad. Last year, the victim’s wife ran over Huggins’ dog on accident.

Huggins walked toward the vehicle, yelling profanities before pulling a gun from his right pocket. He struck the rear passenger window before pointing the gun at the victim.

The victim later noticed his tire was flat after being shot by Huggins.

Huggins was located locked in the driver’s seat of an Ford F-150 at his residence, which led to the standoff.

His wife told officers he had been drinking and ‘acting in a manner which she had never seen from him.’

Prior to police’s arrival, Huggins made mulitple trips from the residence to the vehicle and threatened to harm himself after loading a handgun.

After being taken into custody without incident by SWAT, Huggins was evaluated by emergency medical service personnel.

Huggins consented to a portable breath test and it indicated a blood alcohol content of .172 — above the legal limit of .080.

A black .45 caliber pistol was located in the driver’s door of the F-150 where Huggins was sitting. A silver .45 caliber casing was recovered from the driveway behind Huggin’ truck. An additional silver .45 caliber casing was recovered in the roadway directly in front of the bus stop where the victim and Huggins had the encounter at NW Mohawk Road and NW Hampton Road.

Huggins refused to give details regarding the incident to investigators.

He is facing allegations of second-degree assault, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon while intoxicated.

Huggins was in custody when he appeared in court on Friday, Feb. 23 and the courts entered a plea of not guilty. He has a $15,000 cash only bond with the conditions of no contact with the victim — direct or indirect — or possession of a firearm.