Shooting reported last week in Riverside; one man charged

A Riverside, Mo. man faces felony charges after a verbal confrontation nearly turned deadly last week.

According to court documents, Riverside Police Department Officers responded at about 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday, April 11 to reports of a shooting in the 5000 block of Northwest Kalivas Circle. They found a male victim in the parking lot, covered in blood due to a gunshot wound on his upper left arm.

The apparent suspect was identified as De’Andre Pulce, 23, who was in his apartment that he shared with a witness, who court documents indicate is the mother of Pulce’s child. According to a probable cause statement, the one-year-old child was in the house at the time of the shooting.

De'Andre Pulce

De'Andre Pulce

Pulce was taken into custody at the scene and taken to police headquarters to be interviewed while the victim was taken to the hospital.

After officers cleared the apartment, they observed two silver handguns sitting on the couch side by side along with a single magazine sitting next to the firearms, according to court documents. Spent shell casings were also found just inside the front door of the apartment as well as outside the front door and on the main landing entering the common stairwell. 

Two bullet holes were discovered in the north wall of the common stairwell while blood was spotted on and around the handle of the door leading outside from the stairwell. A cell phone which appeared to have been struck by a bullet was found at the bottom level of the stairwell.

Police conducted an interview with the witness at police headquarters who told investigators that her friend (the victim) came to the apartment. When Pulce arrived home, he tried to use his key to enter the apartment but could not open the door because of a chain lock. 

Pulce questioned the female about the chain, and she indicated that he was home early, normally returning around 7 a.m. He found a cell phone belonging to another individual by the bed and the phone rang. 

According to court documents, Pulce went to the child’s room and learned that someone was hiding inside. Pulce retrieved his gun and ordered the victim to leave the apartment. 

The man wanted to retrieve his clothes, phone and gun before leaving the apartment and told Pulce that the woman was just a friend. Pulce ordered the individual to leave without the gun. 
The witness explained that once the victim was outside the apartment, Pulce fired at him.

Detectives interviewed the woman, who said that Pulce was yelling at the victim and pulled out a silver handgun. According to court documents, Pulce took the victim’s gun and put his own in his waistband before hitting the victim in the head. 

The witness then stated that Pulce told the victim to get his phone and while they were interacting, Pulce allegedly pulled out the victim’s gun, pointed it at him and pulled the trigger, but it did not fire since the man does not keep a round in the chamber. 

The victim allegedly pleaded with Pulce to take his stuff and leave. However, Pulce allegedly shot the man when he reached for his phone to call the police. Pulce allegedly fired three shots.

The victim then fled the apartment but dropped his cell phone and keys. 

A review of 911 tapes showed the first call came from the scene of the crime in at 3:26 a.m. with a male caller stating that a “dude” was in the house and was being held at gunpoint while trying to get out. The male caller can be heard telling someone not to reach into their pockets again and then a pop can be heard that sounded like a gunshot. 

A second pop and third shot were heard before the caller stated that he shot the victim three times. A baby can be heard screaming in the background of the call, according to court documents.

In an interview with police, Pulce said he had been working since 11 p.m. and his supervisor decided to let him go home early. His story was consistent with the witness’, but he said she answered the door with no clothes on.

Pulce said that he noticed a shirt and gun by the front door when the victim told the female to retrieve the gun and cell phone and give it to him. When the victim reached into his left pocket, Pulce said he fired a shot. The second shot was an accident, according to Pulce. 

The victim received two gunshot wounds — one in the upper arm and one to the hand. 
Pulce has been charged with felony assault and felony armed criminal action and remains in custody at the Platte County Detention Center on a $150,000 cash-only bond.